Category Archives: Pubs

A new Artwork at Loughborough Junction

At some point in August this new artwork was hung on the Green Man Skills Centre. It is a Shimmer Wall Green Man which shimmers and sparkles in the sunshine.  A collaboration organised by Sunshine International Arts & 40 + … Continue reading

Posted in Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Junction, Pubs | Leave a comment

Lost Pubs of Denmark Hill – The Cock: Part 1

The Cock or Cock Tavern was located at No 3 Denmark Hill on the east side just a little south of The Tiger which some of you will have known as the Silver Buckle. The Pub is shown in this … Continue reading

Posted in Denmark Hill, Pubs | Leave a comment

The Sad Story of William Jones and Adeline Gay. A Camberwell Carol.

  Published in Town Talk June 1oth 1885, and sourced from Lambeth Local History Archives, Minet Road. Note: William Temple was the Landlord of the Golden Lion pub. Another Note: The Tiger and The Cock were pubs on Denmark Hill … Continue reading

Posted in Denmark Hill, Poetry, Pubs, The Written Word | Leave a comment

Lost Pubs of Denmark Hill – Golden Lion

The Golden Lion was located  on the eastern side of Denmark Hill, next door to where the HSBC is now, on the corner of Orpheus Street. Thanks to Barry for pointing out my original location error.  November 2016 update. It … Continue reading

Posted in Denmark Hill, Pubs | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

The lost Pubs of Denmark Hill: The Bull’s Head

There was a pub called The Bull’s Head in Camberwell for nearly three centuries. Most likely at the same location, on the site of todays Camberwell Green Post Office at what is now 25 Denmark Hill. This photo was taken … Continue reading

Posted in Denmark Hill, Pubs | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Angell Arms on Loughborough Road

The Angell Arms was located at 2 Loughborough Road or formerly at 1 Angel Road. It was at the junction of Angell Road and Loughborough Road. This extract from Stanfords Map of London southern section, 1894 shows the location as … Continue reading

Posted in Loughborough Junction, Pubs, Streets & Roads | Leave a comment

Lord Stanley

When developers started building the mass housing in Loughbourough Junction they often included Public Houses in their plans and one such was the Lord Stanley at 31 Hinton Road. Extract from the OS map 1894-96 It was taken on by … Continue reading

Posted in Loughborough Junction, Pubs | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment