Lizzie Parry

Two pieces by Lizzie Parry.  www.lizzieparry.net

Lizzie Parry Ruskin Park coloured pencil on paper

Ruskin Park: coloured pencil on paper

Lizzie Parry Ruskin Park pastel on paper

Ruskin Park: pastel on paper

A couple of examples of Lizzie’s work which has number of Camberwell/Peckham  related pieces . Well worth a look.

 

Posted in Paintings & Drawings, Ruskin Park | Leave a comment

Coldharbour Lane: names before numbers

Before street numbering began in the 1870’s blocks of buildings had individual names. Today you can still see this on a number of terraces that still exist.

This is Dover Terrace which runs from 171 Coldharbour Lane, the Dover Castle pub now open as The Junction to 189 Coldharbour Lane.

20180127_091517

And across the road is Chichester Terrace,

Panorama of Chichester Terrace Nick Stevens, April 2015

which also included 6 terraced houses on either side of Eastlake Road and Luxor Street.

20180127_092732

20180127_092615

Further down towards Camberwell we have Brunswick Crescent which included both Parades on either side of Kenbury Street.

20180127_093102

20180127_100453

Next came Elizabeth Place comprising The Plough pub now known as Amaryllis and 4 shops, one missing now as you can see.

20180127_100556

Further down Coldharbour Lane we have Frederick Terrace

20180127_101257

On the return back down Coldharbour Lane, on the south side de Crespigny Villas.

de Crespigny Villas

Then from numbers 149 Coldharbour Lane to 169 Coldharbour Lane, originally named Harbour Terrace.

20180127_091446

Across the road was a parade of shops called Chandos Terrace which runs from the east side of Pomfret Road to Flaxman Road.

20180127_092510

At Loughborough Junction this parade was named Bedford Place.

20180127_092120

And across the road this terrace was named Maria Place.

20180127_092200

There were many others, but they no longer exist in their original form.

 

 

 

 

 

Posted in Coldharbour Lane, Streets & Roads | Leave a comment

Changing the Pickup, Coldharbour Lane by A.E.R.Larking

This painting from the Southwark Council Art Collection was painted in 1947

(c) Southwark Art Collection; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Posted in Coldharbour Lane, Paintings & Drawings, Transport | Leave a comment

George Arthur Roberts, soldier, firefighter, Londoner and Trinidadian

On 11th September, 2016, a blue plaque was unveiled on the Samuel Lewis Trust estate on Warner Road.

20171007_141427.jpg

Photo: Loughborough-Junction blog

It was put up to celebrate the life of  George Roberts. He was born in Trinidad on August 1st, 1890.

At the beginning of WW1 having trained as an electrician, he enlisted in the Trinidad Army and made his way to England and signed up as a Rifleman with the Middlesex Regiment. He saw action at the battles of Loos, the Somme and then the Dardenelles. He was wounded both at Loos and at the Battle of the Somme. He had a talent for throwing enemy bombs back into enemy lines. He was given leave during the war to return to Trinidad to recruit more men, and was able to sign up more than 250 recruits.

After the war, he settled in Peckham and worked at his trade of electrician. In 1931, he was one of the founder members of The League of Coloured Peoples, an organisation founded by Dr Harold Moody.

.George Arthur Roberts.PNG

When World War 11 broke out he enlisted in the Home Front, working as a firefighter in Southwark after completing his training in 1939. Working out of New Cross Fire Station he was promoted Section Leader in 1943 and was awarded the British Empire Medal in the Kings 1944 Birthday honours.

He was a vigorous campaigner for ex servicemans rights and founded the local branch of the British Legion. He lived in the Samuel Trust Estate for 50 years until his death in Kings College Hospital in January 1970.

Around this time, he had his portrait painted by Norman Heppel. According to  Southwark News the whereabouts of the painting is unknown.

George Arthur Roberts painting 1931 by Norman Heppel.PNG

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Arthur_Roberts

Southwark News , 15 September 2016: article by Alex Yeates

A lot of the information used in the Southwark News article was based on research by Stephen Bourne  http://www.stephenbourne.co.uk/

 

 

 

 

Posted in People, Streets & Roads | Leave a comment

A new Artwork at Loughborough Junction

At some point in August this new artwork was hung on the Green Man Skills Centre.

20170901_130939

It is a Shimmer Wall Green Man which shimmers and sparkles in the sunshine.  A collaboration organised by Sunshine International Arts & 40 + local residents in November 2016.

It was funded by Matthew Betts, the Landlord of the building with assistance from Shimmerwalls UK.  Matthew is responsible for the regeneration of the old Green Man pub which was looking rather sad and run down after it’s closure in 2003. A trailblazer for the regeneration now happening in Loughborough Junction.

20170901_131015

The Green Man is a symbol of rebirth and regeneration. Here is a link to Green Man on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

 

Posted in Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Junction, Pubs | Leave a comment

Warped London by Samuel Wray

This painting, Oil on Canvas is set in Loughborough Junction at night time.

Warped London Samuel Wray

http://artawards.clydeco.com/gallery/untitled-samuel-wray-easton-city-guilds-of-london-art-school/

Posted in Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Junction, Paintings & Drawings, Streets & Roads | Leave a comment

It won’t take you there…

This sign in Loughborough Junction on the corner of Loughborough Road & Coldharbour Lane points you south …

Lambeth Archives sign Loughborough Junction.jpg

Minet Library and Lambeth Archives are of course in the opposite direction… heading north. Who knows how long it’s been there, just noticed it today.

I guess some joker has swung it round.

Postscript February 2018 :  “Health warning No 1:  If you visit the archives via Loughborough Junction railway station, ignore the nearby road sign which points in the wrong direction! ”

Taken from a report by Barry Hepburn on the visit of The Society of Genealogists to Lambeth Archives 4th April 2014.

Update: March 2018. The sign now points in the right direction

20180325_112559

 

 

 

 

Posted in Loughborough Junction, Streets & Roads | Leave a comment